Creating enterprise principals with kadmin

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Sat Sep 13 12:52:35 EDT 2014

Hello,

I am trying to create an enterprise principal with kadmin.local; but I cannot find what the proper procedure is.

What fails is naively doing
	addprinc user at example.com@EXAMPLE.COM

I do succeed when I instead do
	addprinc user\@example.com at EXAMPLE.COM

I did find that the -E (MIT) or —enterprise (Heimdal) switch work to login to a principal user at example.com@EXAMPLE.COM; without the flag, I need to escape the first @ with a backslash; the Ticket Viewer of Mac OS X also needs this backslash.  It’s almost as if that backslash is what makes up an enterprise name.

But this leaves me a bit worried about the KRB5-NT-ENTERPRISE nametype — does it apply to what I am doing?  Does my approach create a correct enterprise principal name, or am I so lucky to run into leniency by Kerberos?

Thanks,
 -Rick