Automatic login with GDM3

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sat Nov 29 19:03:50 EST 2014

Hello Benjamin and others,

Op 29-11-14 om 21:45 schreef Benjamin Kaduk:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to login automatic for some PC's using GDM3, it are PC's in
>> a public canteen.
>>
>> Using "AutomaticLoginEnable" in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf does not work,
>> because root on the local machine has no rights on the server.
>>
>> Do you know a way to login automatically?  Maybe by using no password
>> for the user?  Or by giving a "kinit" command?
>
> I think the question is not fully formed.

You are right, sorry.

> What is "the server" to which root on the local machine has no access?

The server does NFS4 for the home-directories.

> Why are kerberos credentials needed at all in this kiosk/autologin
> scenario?

There are a few kiosk machines, but the most machines need kredentals.

I would like the kiosk machines to be the same as the others. In this
way they are backupped too.

And when a machine is defect or in use by somebody, a user can use a
kiosk machine as user machine (logout and login with username/paswoord).

> Automatic login will inherently only have access to local resources; if
> access to remote resources is needed, the machine itself will need to be
> given some form of credentials and a way to use them in the login path;
> the details of those will depend on the details of your use case.

I hope I've explained it a bit.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/