Automatic login with GDM3

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 29 15:45:11 EST 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to login automatic for some PC's using GDM3, it are PC's in
> a public canteen.
>
> Using "AutomaticLoginEnable" in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf does not work,
> because root on the local machine has no rights on the server.
>
> Do you know a way to login automatically?  Maybe by using no password
> for the user?  Or by giving a "kinit" command?

I think the question is not fully formed.
What is "the server" to which root on the local machine has no access?
Why are kerberos credentials needed at all in this kiosk/autologin
scenario?

Automatic login will inherently only have access to local resources; if
access to remote resources is needed, the machine itself will need to be
given some form of credentials and a way to use them in the login path;
the details of those will depend on the details of your use case.

-Ben Kaduk