Fwd: Re: spkm3, pku2u question

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Tue Jan 7 04:51:15 EST 2014

Subject: Re: spkm3, pku2u question
Date: Friday 03 January 2014, 18:08:53
From: Andy Adamson <androsadamson at gmail.com>
To: "lux-integ" <lux-integ at btconnect.com>
CC: NFS list <linux-nfs at vger.kernel.org>

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM, lux-integ <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have been scanning the Internet to find out if spkm3 has been removed from
> nfs4 and whether its proported replacement pku2u is available. I get
> conflicting reports as te the  demise of spkm3 and  most of my endeavours
for
> pku2u seem to suggest it is available now only  as a binary release for
> microsoft windows.
>

> I would be grateful for some advice regarding
>
> --a) spkm3 status in current releases  of linux kernel and nfs-utils etc.  (
> i.e. is it or is it not there and working?)

SPKM3 failed to make it through the IETF - the draft I was working on
expired in 2005. It has therefore been removed from the upstream
kernel, nfs-utils etc, although some definitions remain.

> --b) wheher an 'open-source' pku2u for linux is availablea  as replacement
for
> spkm3   and if  so   where to find it.

AFAIK there is no open source pku2u.  PKU2U is a good idea as it uses
the Kerberos protocol with different payloads so kernel Kerberos
implementations would not need to change. If I remember correctly the
job WRT MIT Kerberos would be to refactor the KDC code into library
calls so that a PKU2U server could instantiate a KDC of one entry for
itself backed by an X.509 cert - but it's been a long time since I
reviewed it.

-->Andy

> yours soncerely

I forwarded the email above to show the brief discussion on the nfs4 mailing
list last saturday.

QUESTIONS
I would be grateful if someone on list could elucidate:-
--1-.  Is there an open source pku2u effort   as part of mit-kerberos/pkinit ?
--2    If there is no-opensource pku2u to speak of, could using pkinit
substitute for the promises of pku2u?

sincerely
luxInteg