Krb5 library not able to resolve KDC hostname

arpit.orb arpit.orb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 23:33:25 EST 2014

-------- Original message --------
From: "arpit.orb" <arpit.orb at gmail.com>
To: krbdev-request at mit.edu
Subject: Krb5 library not able to resolve KDC hostname

Hi All,

My KDC server is localkdc.com with local IP 192.168.1.40. I am facing following problem:

Without VPN:

Hostname localkdc.com is resolved from conf file.

With KDC behind VPN and client on other network:

localkdc.com could not be resolved. However, if I enter IP address in conf file, it works. I am sure that VPN settings are correct because all other applications (browser) are able to resolve hostname localkdc.com.

It would be great help if someone can explain this behavior and suggest any possible solution. I dont want to enter KDC's IP address in the conf file for VPN usecase.

Arpit