How to solve: kdb5_ldap_util: Bad parameter to an ldap routine while initializing database

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 28 10:49:56 EDT 2013

On 10/28/2013 07:59 AM, Kausik Chattopadhyay wrote:
> Everything went fine. However at step 3 in section Primary KDC Configuration, when I am trying to use
> kdb5_ldap_util -D  cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com create -subtrees \
> dc=example,dc=com -r EXAMPLE.COM -s -H ldap://ldap01.example.com
> I am getting the following error:
>
> "kdb5_ldap_util: Bad parameter to an ldap routine while initializing database"

I think that means that either ldap_initialize() or ldap_sasl_bind_s()
returned LDAP_PARAM_ERROR, so either the URL (the -H parameter) or the
bind DN (the -D parameter) was considered invalid by the OpenLDAP library.

You appear to have pasted the command from the documentation.  Is that
exactly what you ran?  Since you're using /etc/hosts and not DNS, it's
possible that you're setting up a realm named EXAMPLE.COM and a server
named ldap01.example.com, but the documentation directs you to use your
own values.