How to solve: kdb5_ldap_util: Bad parameter to an ldap routine while initializing database

Kausik Chattopadhyay connect_kausik at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 07:59:09 EDT 2013

Hi,
 I am trying to use keberos and ldap on ubuntu: wants to have a single sign on setup.
I am following the instructions from https://help.ubuntu.com/13.04/serverguide/kerberos-ldap.html
Everything went fine. However at step 3 in section Primary KDC Configuration, when I am trying to use
kdb5_ldap_util -D  cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com create -subtrees \
dc=example,dc=com -r EXAMPLE.COM -s -H ldap://ldap01.example.com
I am getting the following error:

"kdb5_ldap_util: Bad parameter to an ldap routine while initializing database"

Please Note:
1. My KDC an LDAP server works perfectly fine independently.
2. I dont have a DNS setup. I am managing through /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts
3. All my machines running as VM (as I am trying to have a prototype deployment of my own)
4. Other details:
Linux ubuntuvm 3.8.0-19-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 17 18:19:42 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
user at ubuntuvm:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    13.04