krb5_get_init_creds_password takes 15 secs to return

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 24 08:31:19 EDT 2013

Rasanth Akali Kandoth <rasanth at gmail.com> writes:

> All,
> I am facing an issue. call to krb5_get_init_creds_password is taking 15
> secs to return.  i am calling it as follows.
> krb5_get_init_creds_password(k5->ctx, &my_creds, k5->me,
>                                         opts->principal_passwd, NULL, NULL,
> 0, NULL, options);
>
> after it returns, everything works fine. I could see that there is no delay
> at the KDC. as soon as it get a AS-REQ, it responds. the delay happens even
> before the request is made.
> is there any known issue with this function?

It's possible that there are problems with your local DNS resolvers.
Try a packet capture of all DNS traffic to and from your machine when
this happens.  You would see DNS queries (possibly SRV queries) sent
by your machine and not responded to, if that were the case.

Does kinit experience the same delays?