kpropd works standalone, but not under xinetd

Phil Tracy ptracy at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:17:52 EDT 2012

I'm bringing up our first our first MIT Kerberos server on RHEL (other servers are on Solaris now), and I can't seem to run kpropd under xinetd.

If I run kpropd in standalone mode (krpopd -S) things work just fine. But it fails under xinetd with the error "Bad response (during sendauth exchange) while authenticating to server" from the master server (kprop) side. I don't see any messages on the slave server (kpropd) side, that's what prompted me to run it with -dS, but then it worked with no problem.

BTW, we're running an older version of Kerberos, 1.6. Suggestions appreciated.

--
Phil Tracy
<mailto:ptracy at northwestern.edu>