longer ticket life vs auto renew

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 10 22:26:37 EDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 09:42 AM, Matt Garman wrote:
> Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I haven't been able to find a
> discussion on why one might choose one option over the other.  I was
> hoping some of the list members might weigh in with their thoughts.

Practically speaking, I think the main security difference is that if
you abandon a renewable ticket without destroying it for a while (until
its current lifetime is expired, but before its renewable lifetime is)
and someone else recovers it, they can't use it.  But if the ticket has
a really long lifetime, they can.

On the flip side, you have to run something like krenew to keep the
ticket from expiring while you're using it.