Kerberos + NFSv3 on RHEL6.1

Vipin Rathor v.rathor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 11:47:57 EDT 2011

Yes, I'm in process of conveying this to RHEL too. Just thought of
putting this in these lists so that people can help me with their
experiences.
FYI, the mail to NFS mailing list bounced :(.  Does anyone know
correct id for NFS mailing list? I used nfs at lists.sourceforge.net .

On server, I've this in /etc/exports:
"/fs0/nfskrb"     *(rw,no_root_squash,sec=krb5)

I can see this export in 'showmount -e <server_IP>' command from client.

On client, I use this command to mount:
mount -t nfs -o sec=krb5 <server_IP>:/fs0/nfskrb /mnt -v

Some more info:
- When I tried to mount from the same server to the same server, the
mount worked.
- When I tried to mount from another RHEL6.1 mc/ to this server
(running RHEL6.1), the mount worked.

Thanks for replying.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Vipin Rathor <v.rathor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello People,
>> I'm trying to configure NFS (v3) server with Kerberos on RHEL6.1. I'm
>> using RHEL5.5 as NFS client. When I try to mount from client, I'm
>> getting 'Invalid argument' error (return code:32/broken pipe). I tried
>> to run rpc.gssd & rpc.svcgssd in debug mode, but not much helpful. I'm
>> not seeing any GSS-API traffic during mount request.
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1. Is NFS server (running on RHEL6.1) certified with NFS client on RHEL5.5 ?
>> 2. What is the support matrix for NFS server on RHEL6.1 ?
>
>      Shouldn't these questions be asked to RedHat, not to NFS or
> Kerberos mailing lists? You are paying for RedHat support; they better
> answer it because they are the ones who ought to know the answer.
>
>> 3. Do I need any special configuration setting to make this setup working?
>>
>      How did you set up the server to export the data (i.e. config
> files)? Which commands are you using to mount NFS share in client?
>
>> Here's the info about the packages + system that I'm using:
>> NFS server:
>>  - RHEL 6.1 (2.6.32-131.12.1.el6.x86_64 )
>>  - nfs-utils-1.2.3-7.el6.x86_64
>>  - krb5-libs-1.9-9.el6.i686
>>
>> NFS client
>> - RHEL 5.4 (2.6.18-164.el5)