Instant Messaging client-server solution?

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Tue May 17 20:29:32 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend and an Instant Messaging solution, client and
server, that plays nice with Kerberos 5?

The group of people I would be setting it up for all recently switched
from using Windows XP workstations to Debian squeeze with Xfce.
They're still getting used to the environment, so I don't want to
offend their sensibilities too much with an IM client that is too
minimal. They currently would prefer to use Pidgin, but are still
flexible.

Their network consists of three geographically separate locations,
each with its own Debian squeeze server that includes an iptables
firewall and NAT, as well as IPv6 (and another firewall for that). The
three servers communicate with each other via the Internet, but always
through the firewalls (and NATs for IPv4). Zephyr may be a solution,
but I'm not sure it would work with the NATs.

Thanks,

Jaap