Debugging PKINIT

Bram Cymet bcymet at cbnco.com
Wed May 4 09:56:32 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am having some trouble trying to kinit using certificates. I can see
through an strace that the certificate, key, and ca cert files are being
read but then kinit still asks me for my password.

Is there anyway I can tell (either on the client or the server) why
there is a problem with the cert or if kinit is doing anything with the
certs other then reading them?

This is my krb5.conf on my client:

TESTLDAP.CBN = {

               pkinit_anchors=FILE:/home/bcymet/Downloads/crltest-cacert.pem
               pkinit_identities =
FILE:/home/bcymet/Downloads/bcymet-cert.pem,/home/bcymet/Downloads/bcymet-privkey.pem
               X509_user_identity =
FILE:/home/bcymet/Downloads/bcymet-cert.pem,/home/bcymet/Downloads/bcymet-privkey.pem

               pkinit_eku_checking = kpKDC

               pkinit_kdc_hostname = cbnca-auriga-prod

               pkinit_cert_match = <SUBJECT>O=cbn,OU=jrz,CN=bcymet$
               kdc = cbnca-auriga-prod.jrz.cbn
               master_kdc = cbnca-auriga-prod
               default_domain = test.cbn

               X509_anchors=FILE:/home/bcymet/Downloads/crltest-cacert.pem
               admin_server = cbnca-auriga-prod
               pkinit_require_crl_checking = false
               pkinit_revoke = DIR:/etc/krb5/
       }

and on the server:

 TESTLDAP.CBN = {
                kdc = cbnca-auriga-prod
                admin_server = cbnca-auriga-prod
                master_kdc = cbnca-auriga-prod
                default_domain = testLDAP.cbn
                enable-pkinit = true
                pkinit_identity =
FILE:/etc/krb5/cbnca-auriga-prod-cert.pem,/etc/krb5/cbnca-auriga-prod-privkey.pem
                pkinit_anchors = FILE:/etc/krb5/crltest-cacert.pem
                pkinit_eku_checking = kpClientAuth
                pkinit_allow_proxy_certificate = false
                pkinit_allow_upn = false
                #pkinit_revoke = DIR:/etc/krb5/
                #pkinit_require_crl_checking = false

                database_module = openldap_ldapconf

                key_stash_file = /usr/local/var/krb5kdc/.k5.TESTLDAP.CBN
                #auth_to_local = RULE:[1:$1]
                #auth_to_local = RULE:[2:$1]
                #auth_to_local = DEFAULT

        }