RFC: Turning off reverse hostname resolution by default in 1.10

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Jul 6 16:02:02 EDT 2011

On 7/6/2011 2:22 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> I would resolve all these issues by using aliases at the KDC level, but
> thank you for explaining, it's valuable data on the way KDC/DNS are used
> to keep track off.

The primary thing that the Kerberos development team needs to keep in
mind every time a change is made is that Kerberos deployments are
distributed and federated.  In many of the environments there are many
realms involved which are managed by different organizations.  Upgrading
clients and KDCs cannot be performed in lock step and there is no
ability to coordinate which comes first the KDC / KDB update or the
client deployments.

Any transition plan to alter canonical name resolution processing must
take that into account.  It must be possible for a client machine to be
updated in one organization or on one individual's machine and have it
continue to work when the KDC/KDB for the realm that client communicates
with is not updated to support KDC side aliasing.

Just my two cents ...

Jeffrey Altman