Kerberos for Windows

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 25 14:14:49 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 13:02 -0500, Jonathan Day wrote:
> Does anyone know of a recent MIT Kerberos build for Wondows? Yes, I
> know there's something that passes for Kerberos under Windows by
> Microsoft, but for a wide variety of reasons I really need a
> consistent MIT Kerberos V on all machines in my environment regardless
> of OS.

There isn't anything newer than KfW 3.2.3 alpha 1, which is based on the
1.6 branch.

We do plan to make another KfW release, although it will likely be
scaled back in functionality from KfW 3.2.x due to resource constraints
(for instance, NIM probably won't be included, although Secure Endpoints
may choose to provide it separately).  At this point I can't give you a
time frame.  We would be interested in knowing your reasons for needing
KfW or similar as opposed to the Microsoft Kerberos implementation; we
have collected some user requirements in the past but we aren't sure
they're comprehensive.

It is possible to build the krb5 1.9 tree from source under Windows
(this was not true for 1.7 or 1.8, due to bitrot); see
src/windows/README in the source tree for directions.  The result of
such a build does not include everything historically provided in KfW
distributions, though, and has not received any kind of comprehensive
testing.