Performance issues with krb5-1.9.1

Jonathan Reams jr3074 at columbia.edu
Mon Aug 8 15:49:26 EDT 2011

Hi Greg,

I applied this patch and saw a great improvement on our test KDC. I should follow up and say that the performance degradation appeared to be compounded by clients resubmitting their requests after they timed out, so the KDC wasn't only handling new requests, it was trying to fulfill old requests that were being re-submitted. Below is the results of my little performance test with the patch applied to krb5-1.9.1.

[root at naiad ~]# for i in `seq 1 4`; do time for j in `seq 1 1000`; do kinit -k; kvno iprop_monitor | grep -v kvno; done; echo finished round $i; sleep 5; done

real	0m20.312s
user	0m4.513s
sys	0m13.690s
finished round 1

real	0m20.842s
user	0m4.512s
sys	0m13.896s
finished round 2

real	0m21.123s
user	0m4.605s
sys	0m13.787s
finished round 3

real	0m21.425s
user	0m4.508s
sys	0m13.642s
finished round 4

This is much better than the 56 seconds we saw without the patch. We'll roll this out to our secondary KDC and see how it goes this week. Thanks for resolving this so quickly.

Jonathan Reams
CUIT Systems Engineering
Columbia University