ASN.1 encoding ended unexpectedly

Jason C. Wells jasoncwells at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 22:59:11 EDT 2010

I have just completed an upgrade to FreeBSD 8.1 which uses heimdal.  I
have created a new kerberos database and principals in an effort to
solve my problem to no avail.  I can get a tgt.  When I attempt to
telnet to a remote host, I get this error:

  Kerberos V5 refuses authentication because Read req failed: ASN.1
encoding ended unexpectedly

The loging fails, but I have the host credentials in my cache as shown
by klist. I have no idea how to solve this problem.  What does the
error mean?  Any pointers or docs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells