bug report: "too many SRV records" becomes "no SRV records"

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 9 23:30:01 EDT 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 17:36, Richard E. Silverman wrote:

>    res> One day, due to an error, the number of KDC SRV records for one
>    res> of our realms doubled from 27 to 54... and KDC lookups via DNS
>    res> prompty broke.  I bumped up the nextincr value above, and it
>    res> started working again.  Probably not the right fix, but just
>    res> letting you know that there's a bug here.
>
> By the way, it wasn't quite clear to me -- if this should go to krbdev,
> please let me know.  I've been posting here first to vet whether something
> actually *is* a bug, if or before posting there.  Thanks.

Yep, it's a bug; krbdev or krb5-bugs (where it'll actually get recorded in the bug database) would be the right place.

There's already code there that looks like it's supposed to be growing the buffer until it's big enough; apparently that's not working correctly.  (And, why it doubles the size until it's at least as big as the size returned from the library routine, rather than just using the size returned by the search routine, I don't know....)

Ken