Upcoming KfW 3.x ??

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Jan 18 10:59:39 EST 2010

Jeff Blaine wrote:
> On 1/6/2010 7:33 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> On 1/6/2010 2:32 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
>>> I seem to have all sorts of weird problems with KfW.
>>>
>>> For instance, I just clicked 'Cancel' in the 'Obtain
>>> new credentials' dialog for a certain realm and the
>>> dialog greyed out, won't go away, and won't close
>>> via [X].
>>>
>>> Other times I get DNS failures from NIM when nslookup
>>> in a cmd.exe window resolves the KDCs fine.
>>>
>>> Overall, I have zero problems with other network apps
>>> on this box.
>> You are welcome to try a beta of Network Identity Manager v2 if you
>> would like.
>> (Send private mail to be added to the testers list.)   However, if the
>> problem is
>> the resolution of DNS SRV records (which some DNS proxies do not respond to)
>> then the problem will not be resolved by the update.
>
> Jeffrey,
>
> I ended up solving my issues by forceably finding and removing
> all traces of anything related to KfW after "uninstall with
> no config saving" -- and reinstalling.
>
> [ I consider it a bug that 'uninstall' does not clean up the   ]
> [ registry when I've said not to keep my "configuration" info. ]

File a bug report against kfw.

> I don't know what the problem was.  Oh well.
>
> I'd love to be a tester, but unfortunately I need to run the
> version our users have in order to troubleshoot things.

Well you should be testing snyway before you release to users to ensure
that you don't have any surprises or changes in the way things work.

> Aside, is there a reason for the 2-step credential obtaining
> process where the account is 'checked' then one is given a
> password text entry field?  It's clunky to interact with.
>
> Another aside, what release will have krb4 cred obtaining
> disabled by default?
>
>> What I would do is use "Network Monitor v3.2" from Microsoft Connect to
>> examine the network traffic and see what requests are failing to receive
>
> FWIW 3.3 is out
>
> Looks like a nice tool.  I may ditch put Ethereal in the attic.

If you are still using Ethereal the you are using a very old version.
The name has been changed and it is now called wireshark and is
available for windows.

Danny