Upcoming KfW 3.x ??

Jeff Blaine jblaine at kickflop.net
Thu Jan 7 11:48:48 EST 2010

On 1/6/2010 7:33 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> On 1/6/2010 2:32 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
>> I seem to have all sorts of weird problems with KfW.
>>
>> For instance, I just clicked 'Cancel' in the 'Obtain
>> new credentials' dialog for a certain realm and the
>> dialog greyed out, won't go away, and won't close
>> via [X].
>>
>> Other times I get DNS failures from NIM when nslookup
>> in a cmd.exe window resolves the KDCs fine.
>>
>> Overall, I have zero problems with other network apps
>> on this box.
>
> You are welcome to try a beta of Network Identity Manager v2 if you
> would like.
> (Send private mail to be added to the testers list.)   However, if the
> problem is
> the resolution of DNS SRV records (which some DNS proxies do not respond to)
> then the problem will not be resolved by the update.

Jeffrey,

I ended up solving my issues by forceably finding and removing
all traces of anything related to KfW after "uninstall with
no config saving" -- and reinstalling.

[ I consider it a bug that 'uninstall' does not clean up the   ]
[ registry when I've said not to keep my "configuration" info. ]

I don't know what the problem was.  Oh well.

I'd love to be a tester, but unfortunately I need to run the
version our users have in order to troubleshoot things.

Aside, is there a reason for the 2-step credential obtaining
process where the account is 'checked' then one is given a
password text entry field?  It's clunky to interact with.

Another aside, what release will have krb4 cred obtaining
disabled by default?

> What I would do is use "Network Monitor v3.2" from Microsoft Connect to
> examine the network traffic and see what requests are failing to receive

FWIW 3.3 is out

Looks like a nice tool.  I may ditch put Ethereal in the attic.