KfW installation question (krb.con, etc...)

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Jan 6 19:27:54 EST 2010

On 1/6/2010 3:25 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> If one specifies a URL for KfW configuration at install-time,
> but does not care about or want to support krb4 and does not
> offer krb.con or krbrealm.con files, a 'critical error' dialog
> is raised to users.
>
>      Download failed: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>
> Is there a way to avoid this?  We'd like to provide instructions
> for our users that does not include, "Ignore the following
> failure error.  It is caused by blah blah blah..."
>
> Because, in all reality, the file they care about (krb5.ini)
> *was* most likely found just fine and the error dialog does
> not give any indication of what was not found.
The NSIS installers do not have an ability to for customization.   They
do what they do.

Organizations that are distributing KFW are recommended to use the MSI
installers and customize them with the necessary configuration files or
addition/removal of components via the use of MSI transforms.

If you want to use the NSIS installer with the URL, create empty files
for distribution to your users.

Jeffrey Altman