passwd/otp/nfs

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Sep 28 12:13:57 EDT 2009

Hi,
We provide Unix service to the Computer Science Dep. (since 76),
with about 1500 accounts (staff, researchers, students), and
probably one of the last few sites using Hesiod :-)

Since more and more users are requesting access from 'unfriendly'
environments, we are evaluating the feasibility of allowing nfs access
to a wider population, and krb5 could be the solution, but our system
has a few drawbacks:
	- no Active Directory
	- no LDAP
	- getpwnam() does not provide the encryped password

just plain hesiod and authentication is done via pam.
After some googleing, I'm not that wiser :-(
So I'm wandering, can I roll my own authentication module/library/plugin?

thanks,
	danny