Kerberos password change specification

Bruno Medeiros bruno.medeiros at arcticlake.com
Thu Oct 15 06:36:03 EDT 2009

Hello.

I was wondering where is the specification for the original Kerberos
Change Password protocol, as I could not find it so far. RFC 3244 only
details the Windows extension, and for what I've seen of RFC 1510, there
is no mention of how the Password change actually works. (or I've missed
it somehow)
Why does RFC 1510 refer to the password change service (example: "(The
password-changing request must not be honored unless the requester can
provide the old password (the user's current secret key)"), but not
actually specify how it works, or refer to some other document that does?

I've searched a bit more and found these documents:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-00
Are these the specifications? If so, why are these still drafts, whereas
Kerberos is fairly old and mature?

I'm not familiar with Kerberos history unfortunately, so I'm confused by
this.

Regards
--
Bruno Medeiros