Getting a Windows username from an SID with Kerberos

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 12:29:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Toby Newman <google at asktoby.com> wrote:
> I am running Linux in a corporate windows environment.
>
> I need to convert user's Active Directory security identifiers (SIDs)
> to usernames, for example S-1-5-21-484763869-1275210071-682003330-34567
> to mydomain\jbloggs.
>
> There are a few Windows tools that do this like SIDDecode and
> SidToName, but they don't work under wine.
>
> I've been reading about Kerberos and it seems it may be
> possible to achieve this. Does anyone here know how?

Hi Toby,

Kerberos has nothing to do with SIDs. SIDs are just the numeric id of
an account in Windows.

So this is off topic for this list but I'll give you some pointers:

  1. Use rpcclient from the Samba package
  2. Google for JCIFS, create a jcifs.smb.SID, use resolve() with
suitable credentials and then toDisplayString().

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
Java Active Directory Integration