Getting a Windows username from an SID with Kerberos

Toby Newman google at asktoby.com
Thu Oct 8 05:31:12 EDT 2009

I am running Linux in a corporate windows environment.

I need to convert user's Active Directory security identifiers (SIDs)
to usernames, for example S-1-5-21-484763869-1275210071-682003330-34567
to mydomain\jbloggs.

There are a few Windows tools that do this like SIDDecode and
SidToName, but they don't work under wine.

I've been reading about Kerberos and it seems it may be
possible to achieve this. Does anyone here know how?

--
-Toby