Problem using Kerberos for user authentication

Javier Palacios javiplx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:46:54 EST 2009

> I'm trying to get off the ground setting up Kerberos on a Fedora 11 box.
> I've attempted to follow the instructions here:
>        http://aput.net/~jheiss/krbldap/howto.html

That is a pretty old howto (probably older than fedora).

> I've tried both changing the password field for the user in /etc/shadow
> to "*K*" (as mentioned in the howto) and removing the user's entry
> in /etc/shadow altogether--in both cases login fails.

The '*K*' thing is probably innacurate. I've never used, and had
success in debian, fedora and RHEL. And removing the user entry in
/etc/shadow (without changes in /etc/passwd) should produce a
non-usable account, either with kerberos or whichever auth method.

> Any ideas what the problem might be? Or where else I should be looking
> to find out?

Just in case, you need to be able to `kinit username` (without the /admin).

And for the pam_krb5 lines on system-auth, you can add 'debug' and
will get some extra info on syslog.

And following the question from Ryan, I recommend you to check first
with console, then with ssh and finally with any window based login.

Javier Palacios