cannot kinit to AD realm using alternative dns name

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri May 8 10:16:52 EDT 2009

Mchugh, Sean wrote:
> Looking for some advice on how to proceed or if anyone has had the same
> issue; google hasn't come to my rescue yet:
>

> Our Active Directory 2003 domain is called: GGG.LOCAL
> Our userprincipalnames are setup to match our smtp address, in this case
> username at grey.com
>
> I can kinit successfully with:  username at GGG.LOCAL

Correct, Kerberos principals are case sensitive, (but Windows and DNS are insensitive.)
So you realm name is GGG.LOCAL so must be upper case.

> But not with:  username at grey.com _or_ username at ggg.local ; error message

Won't work, as there is no realm called grey.com (or GRAY.COM)
username at ggg.local might get further, but I bet the Windows
returns username at GGG.LOCAL and kinit gets confused, as ggg.local != GGG.LOCAL

> is: "kinit(v5): KRB5 error code 68 while getting initial credentials"
>
> Running Centos 5.2 with the following krb5 packages installed:
>
> krb5-libs-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
> pam_krb5-2.2.14-1.el5_2.1
> pam_krb5-2.2.14-1.el5_2.1
> krb5-libs-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
> krb5-workstation-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
> krb5-devel-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
>

> Following SRV record was manually added:   _kerberos._tcp.grey.com 0 100 88 dc.ggg.local.

The above does not look correct. Even if the krb libs find via DNS the dc.ggg.local
KDC, the KDC does not support the realm grey.com: only GGG.LOCAL (or ggg.local)

> Following is /etc/krb5.conf:
>
> [logging]
>  default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
>  kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log
>  admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log
>
> [libdefaults]
>  default_realm = GGG.LOCAL
>  dns_lookup_realm = true
>  dns_lookup_kdc = true
>  ticket_lifetime = 24h
>  forwardable = yes
>
> [domain_realm]
>  .ggg.grey.global = GGG.LOCAL
>  ggg.grey.global = GGG.LOCAL
>  .grey.com = GGG.LOCAL
>  grey.com = GGG.LOCAL
>
> [appdefaults]
>  pam = {
>    debug = false
>    ticket_lifetime = 36000
>    renew_lifetime = 36000
>    forwardable = true
>    krb4_convert = false
>    validate = true
>  }

So use uppercase realm names with Kerberos apps.