cannot kinit to AD realm using alternative dns name

Mchugh, Sean SMchugh at grey.com
Thu May 7 20:02:06 EDT 2009

Looking for some advice on how to proceed or if anyone has had the same
issue; google hasn't come to my rescue yet:

Our Active Directory 2003 domain is called: GGG.LOCAL
Our userprincipalnames are setup to match our smtp address, in this case
username at grey.com

I can kinit successfully with:  username at GGG.LOCAL
But not with:  username at grey.com _or_ username at ggg.local ; error message
is: "kinit(v5): KRB5 error code 68 while getting initial credentials"

Running Centos 5.2 with the following krb5 packages installed:

krb5-libs-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
pam_krb5-2.2.14-1.el5_2.1
pam_krb5-2.2.14-1.el5_2.1
krb5-libs-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
krb5-workstation-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3
krb5-devel-1.6.1-31.el5_3.3

Following SRV record was manually added:   _kerberos._tcp.grey.com 0 100
88 dc.ggg.local.
Following is /etc/krb5.conf:

[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log