Finding the version of kinit/klist

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 6 13:43:55 EST 2009

Is there any way to determine the version of kinit or klist?

For whatever reason, none of the kerberos commands support a "--version"
option other than the krb5-config command.  Unfortunately, krb5-config
isn't always available.  At least on Redhat systems it's part of the
development package which isn't always installed.

Is there any other way to determine the version of kinit?

On systems supporting RPM I can use rpm to find the version of the package
that contains kinit, but that means finding the version is system
dependent.

PS. I REALLY wish the Kerberos developers would add a "--version" option
to all the commands... or at least the most common ones
(kinit/klist/kdestroy/kpasswd)... or at an absolute minimum - kinit.