krb5-1.6.1 problems (on RedHat)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 13 13:40:13 EST 2009

Mike Friedman <mikef at berkeley.edu> writes:

> Now I'm having another problem with my 1.6.1 (RedHat Linux) test KDC.
> It seems that if I set the REQUIRES_PWCHANGE attribute for a principal
> and try to authenticate with an invalid password, I get back a return
> code of 31 ('decrypt integrity check failed'), instead of a 23 (password
> expired).

Hm, that seems like correct behavior to me in the presence of preauth.
Otherwise, you're leaking state about the account to a possible attacker.

> (My code depends on the RC=23 to verify that the REQUIRES_PWCHANGE
> attribute is, in fact, set.  This code has been running successfully for
> years on earlier KDC versions, 1.4.2 currently, though not on Linux
> systems).

Wouldn't it be better to provide your code with an interface where it can
query that attribute directly instead of using the return code from a
failed authentication?