Samba + Kerberos + LDAP

Morten S. Laursen morten at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 3 16:55:13 EST 2009

Hi
For the last couple of days I've been working on getting Kerberos(MIT),
Samba and LDAP(OpenLdap) working together.
I have no PDC or active directory on site, I wish for the Kerberos/LDAP
to be the only place where users should be stored (having especially
passwords in multiple locations seems like to much of a hack).
I need the Samba for file sharing with windows users (primarily Windows
XP, but there is some Vista installations as well). I managed to connect
using a Windows machine (XP), but not before I manually added my
Kerberos server using ksetup.
As I've become a little unsure if I've misunderstood anything, is it at
all possible to connect to a samba server using MIT kerberos, without
having to install any extra software or modify any configurations on the
Windows machines? (quite often we have guests that need to connect, and
therefore modifying their machines is a no go).
I've tried scanning the network traffic, and the requests from an
unaltered Windows client newer seem to reach the Kerberos server.
I could really need a clarification on whether what I'm trying to
accomplish is possible. And if you have any literature  you would
recommend as well I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any advice
Morten S. Laursen
Engineering College of Aarhus
Dalgas avenue 2