MacOS kinit problem

David Brown Dave_Brown at lbl.gov
Sun Feb 22 12:23:46 EST 2009

I recently transfered ownership of a MacOSX 10.5.6 laptop by
installing a new admin user, after which I deleted the original admin
user.  The new user is unable to run kinit, getting an error message:

kinit: Unable to initialize kerberos login options: Unable to read
Kerberos Login preferences.  The file may be missing, inaccessible or
corrupted.
kinit: Error getting initial tickets: Operation not permitted

kinit works if run with sudo, which shows the file is not missing or
corrupted, so I guess it is 'inaccessible'.  The protections and
ownership of ~/Library/Preferences/
edu.mit.Kerberos.KerberosLogin.plist look fine.  I guess there must be
some utility applications or files which are still owned by the
original admin user and which are protected, does anyone have any idea
what those might be?