netidmgr maxing out CPU and can't be killed on Windows 7 RTM

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Aug 18 22:49:37 EDT 2009

Johnny Russ wrote:
> I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 32-bit and a laptop running
> Windows 7 64-bit. I use kerberos and network identity manager to
> access my AFS files. Everything seems to work fine. Except that
> randomly (every few days or so) I will notice my CPU is maxed out.
> When I check the task manager netidmgr.exe and explorer.exe will be
> the 2 processes that are maxing out the CPU. This usually happens when
> I am not even directly using netidmgr or AFS. I cannot kill them from
> task manager, with taskkill, or with pskill from sysinternals. I have
> to reboot to stop them from maxing out the CPU.

I have seen something like this on my XP box and I believe it was
netidmgr if that is the app that sits in the system tray. After some
time (days) it seems to be grabbing all the messages in the message pump
and suddenly all of my windows go crazy, flashing windows all over the
screen. I have to find my DOS window and kill it off and then things
return to normal. I don't think this is specific to Windows 7.

I haven't had time to follow up as I have plenty of other projects on my
plate.

Danny
> I realize that Windows 7 is not officially supported or even
> officially released yet, but it will be soon. Network Identity
> Manager, Kerberos, and AFS all seem to work fine without any issues. I
> was just curious if anybody else is running Windows 7 and seeing this
> issue. How can I confirm that this is actually a bug when running
> under Windows 7? Or even better any ideas how to avoid it would be
> appreciated.

believed to be clean.