netidmgr maxing out CPU and can't be killed on Windows 7 RTM

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Tue Aug 18 15:00:26 EDT 2009

Johnny Russ wrote:
> I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 32-bit and a laptop running
> Windows 7 64-bit. I use kerberos and network identity manager to
> access my AFS files. Everything seems to work fine. Except that
> randomly (every few days or so) I will notice my CPU is maxed out.
> When I check the task manager netidmgr.exe and explorer.exe will be
> the 2 processes that are maxing out the CPU. This usually happens when
> I am not even directly using netidmgr or AFS. I cannot kill them from
> task manager, with taskkill, or with pskill from sysinternals. I have
> to reboot to stop them from maxing out the CPU.
>
> I realize that Windows 7 is not officially supported or even
> officially released yet, but it will be soon. Network Identity
> Manager, Kerberos, and AFS all seem to work fine without any issues. I
> was just curious if anybody else is running Windows 7 and seeing this
> issue. How can I confirm that this is actually a bug when running
> under Windows 7? Or even better any ideas how to avoid it would be
> appreciated.
I haven't seen the issue but would be happy to track it down and squash it.

Since you are comfortable using SysInternals tools, could you configure
procdump to monitor netidmgr.exe and explorer.exe for cpu spikes and
have it capture a process dump when the issue occurs?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

Please send mail to netidmgr at secure-endpoints.com.  Given that the
issue affects both netidmgr.exe and explorer.exe I suspect the problem
isn't actually with netidmgr but is more likely an interaction between
Windows 7 and OpenAFS but we shall see.

Jeffrey Altman