krb5_get_in_tkt_with_password with KRB5_REALM_CANT_RESOLVE error

Steve stephenpince at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 01:46:22 EDT 2008

I am getting a error with the krb5_get_in_tkt_with_password.  I am
trying to programmatically get a ticket from KDC server. I am using
kfw 3.3.3 Mit kerberos toolkit.

The userid is matt at FOOBAR.LOCAL.

The host FOOBAR.LOCAL just has an entry in my C:\WINDOWS
\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS.

69.127.38.76      apache.foobar.local apache
69.127.38.76      kdc.foobar.local kdc

i have tried the following userids.

matt at FOOBAR.LOCAL
matt at kdc.foobar.local
matt at apache.foobar.local
matt at 69.127.38.76

The code is
    err = krb5_get_in_tkt_with_password(
	       krb5->context,
	       kdcFlags, NULL, NULL, NULL, password, krb5->ccache, &krb5-
>credentials, 0);

Is it failing because the kerberos package can't use a host file but
an actual dns entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
stephenpince at gmail.com