Recommended Practices for Deploying and Using Kerberos in Mixed Environments

Stephen C. Buckley SBuckley at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 4 11:52:35 EDT 2008

I'm pleased to announce our latest white paper "Recommended Practices
for Deploying & Using Kerberos in Mixed Environments",  is now
available at:

	http://www.kerberos.org/software/mixenvkerberos.pdf

This document explores some of the many issues that emerge when
deploying and using Kerberos in mixed environments, and presents
guidance on addressing these issues and recommends practices for
minimizing problems while optimizing the value of Kerberos as a
consistent, cross‐platform authentication solution. The target
audience includes IT professionals with responsibility for
infrastructure planning, strategy, architecture, and technology
refresh. While the focus is on how Kerberos can be used effectively
in mixed environments, it also addresses many issues that will be
encountered by people who primarily deal with homogeneous environments.

In addition, we have received many comments on earlier white papers
that have improved the quality and completeness of these works.

I welcome additional comments you might have on these:

  	"The Role of Kerberos in Modern Information Systems
	http://www.kerberos.org/software/rolekerberos.pdf

	"The MIT Kerberos Administrator's How-to Guide"
	http://www.kerberos.org/software/adminkerberos.pdf

	"Best Practices for Integrating Kerberos Into Your Application"
	http://www.kerberos.org/software/appskerberos.pdf

	"Why is Kerberos a Credible Security Solution?"
	http://www.kerberos.org/software/whykerberos.pdf

Please note, that these white papers are made available under the
same copyright as the MIT Kerberos software, which grants permission
to use, copy, modify, and distribute this documentation for any purpose.

Thank you again for your support of the Kerberos Consortium.

Stephen C. Buckley
Executive Director
Kerberos Consortium
Massachusetts Institute of Technology