cross-realm authentication works only with .k5login

Andrea acirulli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:57:00 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I just setted up a multi realm KDC on a linux machine.
The 2 REALMS are named SOLARIS and SOLARIS2.
I want to put a trust relationship between the two REALMS, so I did
the following on each KDC:

addprinc -pw krbtgt/SOLARIS2 krbtgt/SOLARIS2 at SOLARIS
addprinc -pw krbtgt/SOLARIS krbtgt/SOLARIS at SOLARIS2

In order to test cross realm authentication I tryed to single sign on
into a machine based on SOLARIS realm, with a ticket of SOLARIS2. The
SSO doesn't work, however if I run klist after trying   SSO, it
yields:
[root at localhost ~]# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: andrea at SOLARIS2

03/17/08 04:09:13  03/17/08 15:49:13  krbtgt/SOLARIS2 at SOLARIS2
        renew until 03/17/08 04:09:13
03/17/08 04:09:19  03/17/08 15:49:13  krbtgt/SOLARIS at SOLARIS2
        renew until 03/17/08 04:09:13
03/17/08 04:09:19  03/17/08 15:49:13  host/andrea at SOLARIS
        renew until 03/17/08 04:09:13

It seems that the cross realm authentication works, but the SSO no.

I can make the system successfully works inserting the .k5login file
into the home directory of the user who is attempting to SSO on the
machine with a ticket of SOLARIS2 REALM.

I want to ask to you:

Am I missing something on the configuration?
Is necessary to set up for each user on the system a .k5login?
Is it possible to avoid using the .k5login?

Thanks in advance!

best regards,
Andrea