problem with kerberos v5 building

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 17 09:36:29 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 05:32, Padmavathi Dt wrote:
> I need to install Cyrus SASL for use with our openLDAP.We are going
> to use
> kerberos mechanism for that.
> But I am totally new to kerberos.I have read the install guide and
> I am
> trying to install kerberos now.
> In the first step I gave the following command:
>
> $ ./configure --without-tls --without-krb4

The "--without-tls" option is meaningless for Kerberos.

> This didnt result in any errors.
> But config.log is showing that some srcipt was failed.Partial
> output of
> config.log:(I dont know if this is useful)

That's normal.  Some of the compiler invocations in the configure
script are expected to fail; that's how it tests for various system
properties, or tests the compiler itself to ensure that certain
properties (like whether certain header files exist on the system)
can be detected by looking for errors reported by the compiler.

> The step which is giving error is:
> $ make
>
> The output of make is:
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [test_getpw] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/access/LDAPSOFTWARES/krb5-1.6.3/src/tests/misc
> '

You need to include a bit more of the output than that -- a few lines
before this would be plenty.  These lines just indicate that because
the linker noticed a problem (which should have been reported just
before this), make is giving up in that directory.

> make[1]: *** [all-recurse] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/access/LDAPSOFTWARES/krb5-1.6.3/src/tests'
> make: *** [all-recurse] Error 1

... and the invocations of make in parent directories give up too.

--
Ken Raeburn, Senior Programmer
MIT Kerberos Consortium