Help : Can not contact KDC

Kevin S. Sumner ksumner at physics.unc.edu
Sat Feb 9 13:02:51 EST 2008

Some diagnostics I can think of at the moment:
  - Check to see if kadmin is in the process list on your KDC and that it
has its port open to the outside world.
  - Check to see if the client has the correct entry for admin_server in
krb5.conf.
  - Check firewall rules on the client and the server.  If I remember
correctly, kadmind runs on port 749/tcp.

nmap, netstat, and lsof will be a lot of help.  You can get most of
these from a popular Linux distribution, compile them from source on most
Unices.  There's also a netstat implementation in Windows and a native
compile of nmap for Windows too.

strace, ktrace/kdump, etc. would be my last line.

Hope this helps!
Kevin
-----
Kevin Sumner
ksumner at physics.unc.edu
(919) 962-6494
Assistant Systems Administrator
Physics and Astronomy Networking Infrastructure and Computing