Trying to put an Ubuntu laptop into a Windows 2003 domain

Nicolas Michel nicolas.michel at lemail.be
Fri Dec 12 06:33:08 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to put my laptop on Ubuntu into a Microsoft domain.
After editing /etc/krb5.conf, I tried to get a ticket with kinit but
there is the error message :
kinit(v5): KDC reply did not match expectations while getting initial
credentials

What does this error mean exactly?

Here is my krb5.conf (I know the dns is strangly configured, I'm not the
one who has configure it ...) :

[logging]
    default = SYSLOG:INFO:DAEMON

[libdefaults]
    ticket_lifetime = 24000
    default_realm = PCS
    default_tkt_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
    default_tgs_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
    dns_lookup_realm = false
    dns_lookup_kdc = false

[realms]
    PCS = {
        kdc = srv01
        admin_server = srv01
        default_domain = pcs.local
}

[domain_realm]
.pcs.local = PCS
pcs.local = PCS

I searched on the web but did not found something to solve the problem.
A little help could be so nice.
Thx.