Error reading password from stash

Mathew Rowley mathew_rowley at cable.comcast.com
Thu Dec 11 17:25:34 EST 2008

After uninstalling all krb packages, and reinstalling my newly compiled
ones, I cannot seem to do anything.  Every command to create a new database,
or delete the old one, or start the service gets something to this extent:

[root at ipa01 krb5kdc]# kdb5_util destroy
kdb5_util: Error reading password from stash:  No such file or directory
while initializing database
[root at ipa01 i386]# kdb5_util create -s
Initializing database '/var/kerberos/krb5kdc/principal' for realm
'IPA.COMCAST.COM',
master key name 'K/M at IPA.COMCAST.COM'
You will be prompted for the database Master Password.
It is important that you NOT FORGET this password.
Enter KDC database master key:
Re-enter KDC database master key to verify:
create: Error reading password from stash:  No such file or directory while
creating database '/var/kerberos/krb5kdc/principal'
[root at ipa01 i386]# tail -f /var/log/krb5kdc.log
krb5kdc: No such file or directory - while initializing database for realm
IPA.COMCAST.COM

Is there a way to manually clean out the old db? Or how do I find the old
stash, and put it where it needs to be?

It looks like its located in the /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/ directory:
[root at ipa01 krb5kdc]# ls -lah
total 96K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Dec 11 16:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Dec 11 16:10 ..
-rw------- 1 root root   30 Dec 11 10:59 .k5.IPA.COMCAST.COM

But for some reason the service cannot find it.

Thanks.
--
MAT