Kerberos + LDAP + RADIUS?

Richard E. Silverman res at qoxp.net
Thu Dec 11 00:46:28 EST 2008

    MR> We are re-architecting our whole authentication backend, and I am
    MR> having a hard time trying to understand how Kerberos, LDAP, and
    MR> RADIUS can all fit together.  We currently use RADIUS and LDAP to
    MR> do AAA, and group based security, but we are going to want to have
    MR> an SSO functionality (thus introducing kerberos).

    MR> I think I can see how Kerberos and LDAP fit together, with group
    MR> based security: A user will authenticate with Kerberos¹
    MR> authentication server, then attempt to be assigned a ticket with
    MR> the ticket granting server ­ the ticket granting server will query
    MR> LDAP to see if a user has access to the resource, based on the
    MR> groups that user is a part of.

Not quite -- Kerberos is purely authentication, not authorization.*
A ticket doesn't grant access to a resource; it identifies a client to the
server of that resource, so that the server can *make* that authorization
decision.  To do so, it might then in turn query LDAP to find out the
client's permissions/rights.

* At least traditionally -- though the ticket data structure does have an
  authorization field, which Microsoft uses to encode a user's rights
  (group memberships, etc.).

--
  Richard Silverman
  res at qoxp.net