advice on kerberizing products

Kristen J. Webb kwebb at teradactyl.com
Wed Apr 23 15:08:13 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I originally posted this to the krbdev list, and was pointed
here.....

After doing some research on my own, I now have lots of questions.
I have a simple implementation that uses sendauth and recvauth
as a starting point.  It works on my setup, but when I try it in a
Heimdal environment I get some expected results:

h.test: error while loading shared libraries: libcom_err.so.3: cannot open

Trying to be clever, I link it to a previous version:

ln -s libcom_err.so.2.1 libcom_err.so.3

h.test: /usr/local/lib/libcom_err.so.3: no version information available
(required by h.test)

So now I'm thinking that static linking is the way to go.
BTW: we used static linking in a previous kerb4 implementation.

However, when I try to configure with --enable-static
Both 1.6.3 and 1.5.4 give the same error:

configure: error: Sorry, static libraries do not work in this release.

I even tried going all the way back to 1.4.4, where
configure worked, but make bombed right away.

1. Is there an MIT release that is recommended for doing static builds?

2. If not, should I be considering building against Heimdal instead?

3. My original goal was to provide a kerberized binary that would work
in both environments.  Are there any other recommendation or advices
on how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kris
--