SSH, expired pwd, change rejected

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 18 13:56:06 EDT 2007

Roman.Schoenbichler at gmail.com writes:

> SSH seems to use passwd to change the password, which seems to behave
> quite different on each machine.  Sometimes, this works pretty well, but
> most of the time, the password is rejected. The is not a matter of a bad
> chosen pwd.

ssh is probably not using passwd.  It's using the PAM password stack,
which is the same thing that passwd uses.  If you're using Kerberos
passwords for the system, you'll need to list your Kerberos PAM module
first (and probably sufficient) in the password stack.

Given that it's sometimes working and sometimes not, my guess is that you
partly have this configured but not entirely.