Trust user for delegation: AD access denied

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Oct 26 14:25:33 EDT 2007

pher wrote:
> That's exactly the point where I have the problem: I did add the user
> "Administrator" and the group "Domain Admins" into Group Policy
> Management --> Default Domain Policy (of the domain controller) --> Computer
> configuration --> Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local
> Policies --> User Rights Management --> Enable computer and user accounts to
> be trusted for delegation.
> I even rebooted the DC, one never knows (no problem, it's a test
> environment).

OK, that is the bit to say you, as an Administrator, can update the userAccountControl
TRUSTED_FOR_DELEGATION bit in the acocunt of a server.

> But I still cannot trust a user or a server for delegation, I always get the
> same error "Your security settings do not allow you to specify whether or
> not this account is to be trusted for delegation".

Do you get this message when trying to update an account, or do you get this
message when the user tries to delegate.

If the later, do you have this situation:
 > To restrict delegated authentication
 > 1. In Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click the computer or user account and select Properties.
 >
 > 2. On the Account tab, under Account Options, select the Account is sensitive and cannot be delegated check box, and click OK.
 >
 > 3. You can also restrict delegated authentication to prevent the delegation of sensitive user accounts by marking the account as not enabled for delegation. Restrict delegated authentication for accounts that are less secure or that are particularly powerful.

I thing the above is referring to the userAccountControl:

• NOT_DELEGATED - When this flag is set, the security context of the user is not
   delegated to a service even if the service account is set as trusted for Kerberos delegation.