Credential weirdness

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Sat Oct 13 22:23:02 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have encoutered some weirness with machine credentials (I think).
Maybe someone can explain what is happenning.

Here is my configuration:

 server1: exports user home directories via NFS using gss/krb5p
 server2: is the KDC and mounts the home directories as a client
 server3: just mounts the user home directories as a client

Now, if server1 or server3 reboots, there is no problem.  However, if
server2 reboots, I must run kadmin on server1, remove the nfs/server1
key from the local keytab and add it back in.  Then I must restart the
NFS service.  After that server2 and server3 can again mount the home
directories.

Why is this.  Is it because server2 is the KDC.  But why would server2's
reboot necessitate regenerating the nfs/server1 key on server1?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez