New to Kerberos, please help

IDL isaaclea at sierrasystems.com
Tue Nov 27 19:17:34 EST 2007

I have a messaging based application that runs on Websphere and a requirement
has come up that it be integrated into Kerberos.  So now i'm trying to learn
what Kerberos is all about.

I need to figure out how it can be done and also setup a test environment.

1) I assume I need to setup a KDC.  Can I set one up on windows XP?  I
haven't found how to do that but would like to know if it's possible, or if
I have to get an AIX box setup.

2) In my application the messages can come in either though TCP or RMI
connections.  I am unclear on how Kerberos comes into play, but how would I
authenticate these messages?  Some kind of API call to a Websphere Kerberose
adapter?

I'm a little overwealmed at the moment, so any info to clue me in would be
great!