Server not found in Kerberos database error on ldapsearch

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Nov 9 15:43:44 EST 2007

jeck wrote:
> Good afternoon!
> I have the following problem: I need to connect securely to a AD and search
> it via ldapsearch.

It should work with something like this with OpenLDAP SASL and GSSAPI:

ldapsearch -b "dc=ad,dc=domain,dc=com" -h dc1.ad.domain.com -Y GSSAPI ...
where the domain name is ad.domain.com and one of the AD controllers
is dc1.ad.domain.com

> When I try to do so the "Server not found in Kerberos
> database" error appears. I'm not quite sure, why. I have extracted a keytab
> of the AD

What? Not sure what you mean here. Is the keytab for a user or the AD
controller itself? You should *not* need a keytab at all.

> and kinit seems to work fine for the same user as I want to use
> with ldapsearch.

Usually a user with some AD administrative privilages.

 >The hosts-files

What host files?

> are set up correctly (a ping on DNS-names
> looks fine). There is nothing that indicates an error in the AD-logs (only
> successful logons). Could anyone give me a hint, why I get this reaction?

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439
  (630) 252-5444