krb5-strength 0.5 released

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 19 02:36:42 EDT 2007

I'm pleased to announce release 0.5 of krb5-strength.  This should still
be considered beta-quality code.

krb5-strength is a toolkit for checking the strength of passwords against
an external dictionary, applying more transforms and checks than kadmind
supports by default.  It is implemented as a patch to kadmind and a plugin
module that is called on each password change.  It embeds a slightly
modified copy of Alec Muffett's CrackLib to do the password checking.

Changes from previous release:

    The check of the password against the principal checked against the
    fully-qualified principal, which is not the usual problem.
    Additionally check that the password doesn't match the principal with
    the realm removed or the reverse of that (case-insensitive).

You can download it from:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/krb5-strength/>

Please let me know of any problems or feature requests not already listed
in the TODO file.