How to migrate from MIT krb5 -> Heimdal?

Jeremy Thomas Hunt jeremyh at optimation.com.au
Tue Jan 23 23:35:18 EST 2007

I am not sure how compatible the heimdahl and mit kerberos dump/load
programs are. I suspect they can be made to work.

In a nutshell, try the following.
1. Dump the kerberos database on your MIT master to a file, you do this
with dump subcommand of kdb5_util.
2. Build your shiny new Heimdahl kdc, with the same name, kerberos realm
and database password as your old MIT master kdc.
3. Load the flat file from 1 into your shiny new Heimdahl database. You
will have to research how to do this, There may be a common format the
MIT dump and the Heimdahl load use, check your man pages and Google.
4. Test that kadmin and kerberos change password work on the new master.
5. Swap the new master for the old master.
6  Test database propagation to the slaves still work. You may have to,
or decide to, convert the slaves first in which case you modify this
task list a little.
7. Test that normal users can authenticate themselves.

If all goes well you have done it.

I hope this helps,

Jeremy